Sunday, September 28, 2008

Do People Watch The News?!?

So I don't consider myself to be the type of person that knows everything that is going on in the world, but I do make it a priority to know the basics. I realize that I may read and watch the news more than others because I'm going into that field, but I find it amazing how little people know about what is going on. The main story in the news right now is the $700 Billion bailout... It's a big deal... but in a room full of college kids this last Friday I found that I was 1 of 2 people that knew anything about it. The presidential candidates were debating and the issue of the bailout plan came up... and everyone in the room got confused? "What bailout plan?" Seriously, I was the youngest person in the room and over half of them were college graduates! Does no one watch the news anymore? I can understand not being familiar with all the issues, but one of the biggest issues pressing the United States and they don't know a thing about it!? I'm sure if I had asked them the names of the Jolie-Pitt twins they'd know... 

3 comments:

amanda taylor said...

I am probably going to regret saying this but... I am one of those embarrassing people who knows the name of the Jolie-Pitt twins. (Knox Leon and Vivienne Marcheline) I know there is a bailout or "rescue" going on but I honestly don't know what it is because I haven't taken the time to read about it. I use newspapers like the NYTimes for headlines. I read leads and blurbs on the big stories, and then I move on to my latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, and devour every word. I just find those facts more interesting! Should I be concerned about myself?

kmorrill said...

Haha yeah... It really is amazing how hardly anyone at all seems to know what is going on in our country. Until this year I was pretty ignorant when it came to current events. That's one reason I like Comms 239; It really makes you pay attention to what's going on in our country and around the world, which we should be doing anyway. It's really a good thing to be informed, especially now with all of the stock market worry and everything... It pays off to be well informed!

Becca Ricks said...

Honestly, not to target one institution, but apathy is kind of the general sentiment at BYU. If you go to most other college campuses (East coast shoutout!) people know what is going on. It's absolutely frustrating.